Monday, June 8, 2009

Dance recital

I used to think dance recitals, with their over-the-top costumes and glammed-up little girls, were a waste of energy. Their very nature seemed contrary to my feminist ideals. I loathed the idea of any daughter of mine participating in one, and even vowed to find a dance studio that didn't do them if one of my girls insisted on dancing.

And then I gave birth to a princess. I relaxed a little, and decided I could tolerate a full-scale recital. And now, after our second year of this, I LOVE them. Why? Because I get to see my shy daughter walk onto a stage with confidence and perform for hundreds of people. Because I know how young she is and how hard it is to concentrate and learn dance steps. Because I know how good she feels doing it. And because it's just plain fun to get lost in girl-land sometimes.

So here are a few pictures from the big night. Ava danced to the song "I Enjoy Being a Girl", which was just perfect for her. So here's my little darling posing as only she does:






A shot of her on the left, during the performance:

Walking onstage for the grand finale:
After her big performance, with a bouquet of roses from Daddy.

Great job, Ava!

9 comments:

danniellespackman said...

Fantastic job Ava!!! Love the hot pink tutu!

Kristin said...

Her hair is adorable. I love the wringlets. Thanks for calling today it was fun to talk to a familiar voice.

Texas Dimons said...

Totally fits her!

AmyPoll said...

She looks so cute. Such a contrast from Brenna. Jules loved the dance, but she is loving tumbling even more...and no dance recitals for me to sit through.

Anonymous said...

This whole gig is so classic Ava. Beautiful!

Dad/Grandpa/Hal/Steve

Katrena said...

Too cute, curls, smiles, outfit and all!

Laura said...

She looks so cute. Love the tutu as well!

Julie said...

So cute!! Love the outfit and big bow!

Cheri said...

Love it, Love it, Love it! Adorable!