I thought I was good at this parenting thing. Then I lost my mind and took Ava and Nate with me this morning to Gwen's 4 month checkup (she's healthy...16 lbs and 26 inches long). Mind you, Nate is potty training and I decided to take him in underwear instead of a diaper b/c we would have easy access to a bathroom the whole time.
So we arrive, and I immediately take Nate to the potty. He has peed a little in his underwear, but that's okay because I've brought back-up clothing. A quick clothing change, a lollipop for making pee pee on the toilet and we're ready to go.
We head into the exam room, the medical assistant does the initial check on Gwen and then we're left alone to wait for the doctor. At this point I explain to Ava and Nate that I need them to stay quiet and still while the doctor is in the room, and that if they can do that they will get another lollipop as we leave. Hilariously enough, I thought this would work.
Pretty quickly the doctor enters the room and Nate starts fishing through my purse for a lollipop. I try everything to distract him and get him to leave the lollipop stash alone. He finally does and sits down next to Ava. Then he climbs on to Ava's chair, which naturally upsets her, as she is still sitting there. Suffice it to say, all Hades breaks loose between those two. I try everything I can to get them to stop, but am less than successful, especially since I am holding Gwen and still trying to speak with the doctor somewhat.
Eventually he's able to examine Gwen successfully and I'm able to get my questions answered. He leaves the room and I tell the kids how angry and embarassed I am and that there will be no lollipops. Weeping and wailing ensues. I am unsympathetic. Weeping and wailing gets louder. Attempts at bargaining for lollipops begin, followed by begging for a "second chance". I threaten to spank bums and somehow when they sense the deep anger welling within me and the great potential for harm it presents to them they calm down and behave reasonably while the nurse administers Gwen's shots.
We leave the exam room and head to the desk to schedule Gwen's 6 month checkup. As I consult with the secretary, I look down to see Nate has STRIPPED OFF HIS SHOES, SHORTS & UNDERWEAR AND IS NOW STREAKING THROUGH THE OFFICE. Immediately I lay Gwen down on the floor, grab Nate and redress him. I pick up Gwen, stand up, grab the card with Gwen's appointment written on it, and turn back around to find Nate has stripped naked again in world record time. The nurse walking down the hallway sees him and gets hysterical as she's trying to help. She holds Gwen as I get him dressed again and before he can do it again we hurriedly leave the office.
It's too bad I have to find another doctor. He'd kind of grown on me. But I can clearly never show my face in that place again.
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Once upon a time...
Posted by Carrie at 10:55 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
AWESOME is all I have to say!! gotta love the natester! good thing you documented it for posterity/bribery later!
Oh Carrie!!!! I am so sorry! ::snicker snicker:: I am totally trying not to bust up laughing and be really sad for you....Hahahahaha Nope didnt work! I'm totally laughing! :o) I do feel your pain though. I wish I lived a little closer and you could just drop them off with me next time. The things us moms go through.
I'm thinking back trying to remember a similar situation with y'all. Nope, there were a few public embarassments but nothing like this. Nate and Ava have got it going on! Nate's streaking episode is priceless (well, at least to me; here; 1135 miles away). Thanks for letting my grandchildren live - you were very kind. Dad
That sounds like the kind of experience nightmares are made of!
I have to say the story is even better when you hear it in person!
It is great to hear these stories! It makes my life seem a little more normal!
Natey Natey Nate Nate!!! What a man! When Grant gets a little older I'll have to remember to bring back up to the DR's office!
I'd say you are doing pretty good if it took until you were busy with four to start to wonder if you had the parenting thing down!
very funny tale....in hindsight!
p.s.: i don't even need to google dutch oven :) chris does that kind too! shocker!
Don't ya just love it. Who ever said parenting is easy never had kids. The whole time I was reading I was waiting for you to say Nate had striped naked and peeped on the front desk or some thing. I guess I could have been worse. Maybe not.
He was HOT! Can you blame him?! I want to do the same thing at work. Clothes are so restricting! :)
It is so funny how potty training seems to give them the okay to randomly take off their clothes. We were at a clothing store when Grace discovered what the dressing room was for. I saw her go in to investigate the mirror (or so I thought) and in record time she comes out completely naked but with her shoes still on! Luckily, I was able to usher her back in before anyone saw.
That seems to rival my no good, very bad day! Sorry it seems like we have to have bad days every once in a while to be grateful for the good ones!
Okay--this post is hilarious! I guess the funniest thing is that I totally feel your pain and could see this exact same story happening to me. Potty training is such a blast isn't it?
Post a Comment