Wednesday, June 11, 2008

He's waking up even earlier?!

This morning it was 4:30 instead of 5:00 am when Nate woke up. I took him back to bed twice but he still didn't go to sleep. At about 5:30 Scott reported to me that he had gone downstairs and gotten gum out of my purse. Scott got him back upstairs and closed the gate at the top of the stairs so he was at least trapped on the top floor with me. At this point he and Ava discovered each other's company. They started playing in her room and finally enticed me out of bed at 5:45 when I heard the water running in my bathroom and the sound of Nate trying to fill my water glass I keep in there. (Mental note: switch the glass out for a plastic cup.) So we went downstairs together and I got Nate some milk and dry cereal in a bowl and he sat by me on the couch to watch cartoons while I snoozed some more.

A little while later Brenna came downstairs and said "Good morning", which woke me back up. I look over and Nate has pooped, taken off his diaper, and deposited the poop on the living room floor. I clean this up and decide it's time to be fully awake lest something even more horrifying happen.

So after breakfast and getting the girls their clothes, I head upstairs for just a minute. I get distracted by something and then hear a strange noise downstairs, like a door being banged. As I head down to see who had gone out into the backyard I meet Nate coming up the stairs with a piece of mulch bark. The kind we have in the front yard.

Sure enough, the front door is open and he has attempted to re-lock the door that apparently he unlocked all on his own, but he has locked it before closing the door and the deadbolt is preventing him from closing it. At this point it's not quite 7:30.

Needless to say, I'm exhausted and this little guy is a heck of a lot tougher to parent than his sisters!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

no problem - Jack, Josie and Mona woke us up at 5:17 this morning demanding breakfast, so I'll put Early Bird Nate in charge of doggie feeding while you're here!!

Kristin said...

Holy cow! I've never had one like him. Does he ever stop? Good luck catching up on sleep. Yah right!

danniellespackman said...

Please don't tell me that is what all boys are like. I don't know if I can handle a Natalie and a Nate. But hey in a couple of months if you're already up you can come help with a newborn. :)

Anonymous said...

Good grief, Nate does more before 8:00 am then most people do all day.

Kim Simpson said...

Welcom to the world of boys. If it can be undone, taken apart, or destroyed in anyway possible they find a way to do it. We have lots of good recomendations for ways to lock up everything and lock kids in as well!

Jess said...

At this point, do you ever think to yourself, "I am so not getting paid enough for this!" :)