Sunday, December 16, 2012

Halloween

The patch we normally get our pumpkins from had a wonderful year, apparently, and sold almost their entire crop. We can't carve pumpkins more than a day in advance of Halloween because they rot quickly in our warm temps. By the time we got to the patch this year, there were a few handfuls of small pumpkins left, which actually was fabulous because the kids were able to carve those little pumpkins almost entirely by themselves.





Halloween was on a Wednesday this year. We had a chili dinner and trunk or treat at our church, followed by trick or treating in our neighborhood.

Gwen wanted to be Tinkerbell this year, and with her blonde hair was perfect for the part. Unfortunately she discovered her previously well-hidden costume just two days before Halloween and had ruined her wings by the big day. Still, she was cute. I love these shots of her being just downright Gwennish. I don't even remember what she was telling me about. I just love all her expressions.












Brenna went as Katniss Everdeen, the main character from the book, The Hunger Games. We had fun actually putting together a costume from scratch and making the bow and arrows and Mockingjay pin that are fundamental to the character. Brenna liked her costume, but it attracted a LOT of attention. Everywhere she went people commented on it and stopped her to say they liked it. By the end of the night I think she'd had enough! She was ready to blend in a little more.



Nate went as Batman. I'm especially fond of the superhero underpants look. 



Gwen showing off the pumpkin she had carved.



Ava dressed up as the Greek goddess, Athena. She decided it was time to put an end to the princess costume streak that began when she was 2 or 3 years old.


The kids all ready to for Trunk or Treat at the church.



My favorite part of the night was when Gwen got mad at me for not letting her Trunk or Treat by herself. I mean, she's 3, right, so what's the problem with her wandering unsupervised through a dark parking lot full of people with her best 3-year old friend?

The kids made a huge haul that lasted, I think, about 4 days. 

0 comments: