Thursday, August 23, 2012

Oh, to be three...

The comedian Ray Romano has a bit about seeing his young daughter smiling to herself as she gazes out the window of their car and asking her what she's thinking about. She responds, "Candy."


Isn't it wonderful, the sweetness and innocence of a child's thoughts?

Tonight Gwen was having a hard time getting to sleep and wanted me to sit by her and rub her back. While I did this she told me how she wanted a "tiny giraffe" to be her friend. She was so sweet and happy thinking and talking about her tiny giraffe that I fell in love with my little Gwen all over again. 

I find the experience of having children to be a lot like a new romance. That child is the most wonderful person in the world and they can do no real wrong in your eyes. Sure, they may have flaws, you're not totally blind, you can see that, but their flaws are charming, harmless, endearing. The more you're around your child the more you love them. You think about them too much. Talk about them too much.   Sure, they can be frustrating and hard to understand, but what person isn't when you're in a new relationship, trying to figure out exactly who that other, wonderful person really is. 

So even after 10, 8, 5 and 3 years, I'm still trying to figure out what's going on in the minds and hearts of my children and falling in love with those insights every single day. Especially when it's tiny giraffes.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this post and it definitely encapsulates how I feel about my little ones! Thanks