Tuesday, May 22, 2012

We're getting good at this vacationing thing

We headed out into the wild blue yonder again together this year. By wild blue yonder I mean a ginormous ship out in the middle of the ocean and by together I mean we hit the road with 6 friends. 

This is our ship on the left docked alongside a normal-sized cruise ship. We called our ride "The Death Star". 



April 14th was our big departure day. We spent the day packing, snuggling with kiddos and waiting for our ride to arrive. When our friend Marc, our chauffeur and fellow traveller, a petroleum engineer, father of four, and upstanding member of our church came barreling down the road in his Yukon XL with horn blaring nonstop for at least a good 15 seconds to announce that it was "time", Scott and I practically bolted out the door to get the party started! We gave kisses to the kids and my parents and hit the road. 

Me, Lindsay and Lisa somewhere on I-5 headed toward LAX.



A few hours and one stop at Cafe Rio later we made it to the airport. Nothing like a self-portrait on the airport parking shuttle.



Next came a red-eye flight from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale with very little quality sleep, followed by a groggy breakfast and a short trip to the beach before it was time to head to the port. Here we planned the day, marveled at Eastern European manners, and slept while we waited to get onboard.




Now comes the really fun part! Our first stop on the cruise was the Bahamas. We were the hottest couple on the beach. Except for the couple who seemed to be doing an inordinate amount of squats and lunges. We gawked at those ambitious maniacs from our cushy spot in the sand for a while and enjoyed doing absolutely nothing.





Scott, me, Brad, Lisa, Lindsay, Marc, Kim and Jared


Getting back on the ship


Things I enjoyed about the Bahamas: gorgeous blue water and the softest sand I've ever felt.
Things I can do without: having to wonder if I'm going to get run over by a jet ski while swimming and getting hit up every 5 minutes to buy something (alcohol, skirts, chips, more alcohol).

More to come......

0 comments: