On our 3rd day of vacation we got up early so my sister and I could run in the Provo Freedom Run 5k. The race started at 7 a.m. so we were out the door about 6, which is 5 Pacific Time, which meant I was tired. Can you tell from this pre-race picture?
The race itself was great. Our goal was to finish in 30 minutes and we made it in 29:16, which we were both excited about. It was really fun to run with my sister. We kept each other going as fast as we were comfortable and encouraged each other as we made our way up the hill toward the end. It was an ugly one and lots of people stopped to walk it. When the finish line came in sight Julie took off. That girl seriously kicks my tail in a sprint. I managed to stay only one second behind her, sucking wind the whole way. Her mad dash, while painful, helped shave 20 seconds off our time.
I love 5k's. They're over so quickly.
After our lovely run we watched the parade, which was fun in a loud sort of way. Lots of sirens. Countless "beauty" queens. One chauvinistic marine who informed my daughters as he walked by that the military needs nurses (not doctors or soldiers, just nurses apparently). A Donny Osmond sighting. And snow cones:
We rounded off the day with my brother-in-law Greg's amazing ribs and baked beans, which I drool just thinking about. Happy Independence Day!
2 comments:
That picture of Gwen is rockin'! You failed to mention how I lagged a few steps behind you the whole time. That sure was a lot of fun. I'm glad I got to do that with you. Even with the stinky b.o. and bodily function smells wafting through the air at the starting line...I'd do it again!
I seriously forgot about that!.....blocked it out is more likely. Should I go back and amend my narrative to include rank people breaking wind before the race began or just leave that part out?
Post a Comment