Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I'm contemplating violence

It's spring break here, which is not the problem. Remember Wonder Boy and the potty training battle? Apparently it ain't over yet.


He is pooping in his underwear up to 5 times a day (yes, you read that right) and then coming to me with a sassy, sing-songy, taunting voice to say "Mom, I pooped!" Add to that the pee "accidents" (there's nothing accidental about the majority of them) that he is now throwing in there as well (in spite of the fact that he was peeing on the toilet just fine, even staying dry through the night many nights) and I am doing ridiculous amounts of laundry, scrubbing a staggering number of carpet stains, and swishing poopy underwear all day long. I consider the underwear rinsing to be the most repulsive, vile parenting job I can currently imagine. If I could throw out every pair of pooped-in underwear, I would, but at up to 5 poops a day that would cost a fortune.

The number one rule of potty training is to stay positive, right?

Wrong. I'm done with positive.

My current number one rule: win. Whatever the cost. And quickly, before I stop just contemplating violence and actually follow through.

14 comments:

Brooke said...

Bribe him with candy every time he goes in the actual toilet. We did that with Savannah - we won, and she gained 5 pounds... :)

I'm so sorry but I wish you the best of luck in winning this battle! When you're the master you can come train my twins, k?

H and J in TX said...

Thomas Paine began his "The American Crisis" pamphlets with "These are the times that try men's souls". Tommy never had to contend with Nate and with "The Kinghorn Crisis". If he had, it would have been the end of his literary career. Take luck with Nate. Take much luck.

HL

Cluff Chronicles said...

I would buy a package of diapers (not pull-ups) and tell him he has to start wearing diapers again until he can use the toilet. Usually it only takes one diaper for them to decide they will go in the toilet. Good luck!

Kim Simpson said...

I loathe potty training.

laura said...

Bless your soul.

This is what my mother-in-law told me when I was in the throws of potty training- It will not always be like this. This too shall pass. He will not wear a diaper to school.

In the meantime, you know what to do;)

H and J in TX said...

My vote still is duct taping him to the refrigerator door.

HL

Natalie Benavides said...

Hahahaha
I do not look foward to those days.

Carrie said...

Candy, potty charts, rewards, etc. are all wearing off....therein lies the problem. Yesterday I started cold showers after each poop (you've gotta get clean and wet wipes just aren't doing it) and this morning he had to miss the movie and stay with the babysitter because he had 3 "accidents".

Lisa said...

My sister and siste-in-law swear by the cold shower technique. Luckily my boys have been easy so far and I didn't have to get that extreme. But my 2 nieces kicked all of there bad pooping habits after 2-3 cold showers. Good luck.

Lisa B.

larshannon said...

Carrie, I feel your pain! Ian and I had the same war. It lasted over a year. Did that make you feel better? Maybe this will, he poops and pees on the toilet now. It was just a long year.

Katie and Luke said...

I am thinking he might enjoy sporting some Barbie undies while he contemplates his next bowel movement....

danniellespackman said...

I wish you all the best!! And when all is said and done you deserve a vacation!!!!

Kristin said...

Oh Carrie, I can't imagine! You just made me push back my potty training schedule. Good luck

Anonymous said...

i'm soooooo sorry! hang in there.