Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I love this soup!

I had been craving french onion soup ever since I had a bowl at Le Madeline in Austin, so tonight I decided to make it at home. Oh my gosh! It was so good! Fortunately I have enough left over for lunch tomorrow. The kids even ate theirs (served without the onions), which was a pleasant surprise. Throw enough cheese in something and serve it with a side of toasted cheese baguette and they're up for just about anything, I guess.

Here's the recipe:

French Onion Soup

2 Vidalia onions, sliced into thin rings
2 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
4 cans beef broth
2 bay leaves
1tsp. worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
black pepper to taste
swiss cheese
shaved parmesan cheese
1 french baguette

Melt butter in stockpot over medium heat. Add olive oil and sliced onions and cook for 25 minutes until onions are brown and caramelized. Add garlic and cook for 3 minutes more. Add next four ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. While soup simmers, slice baguette into 1 inch slices. Butter on both sides. Broil until golden on one side, then turn baguette slices over and broil until golden on the other side. Top baguette slices with parmesan and swiss cheese and return to broiler until cheese is melted. Ladle soup into serving bowls, heap with desired amount of swiss and parmesan cheese. Top with baguette slices.



This takes 45 minutes to make, but it's not a high-maintenance recipe and you have plenty of time while cooking it to make a salad or panini to go with it. We ate ours with fresh fruit and extra baguette slices.

When I thanked Scott for tolerating my french onion soup, he said it was the least he could do, seeing how he had made his famous chili macaroni for dinner the night before. Here's the recipe to that one:

Chili Macaroni

prepare one box mac n cheese according to package directions
add one can of chili
stir and serve!


The kids like this one better than my soup. Heathens.

5 comments:

Katrena said...

I'm an onion fan so I may just have to try this sometime. Is the onion used in this recipe the big white onion usually at the grocery store? I should probably know but I don't!

Sarah Larsen said...

Oh boy, I hope patrick doesn't read this post or he'll insist I make it for him immediately! Haha. Actually, come to think of it, maybe that wouldn't be so bad! It sounds delicious! I'm also impressed it was such a quick recipe! All the ones I've seen online require hours of carmelization for the onions!

Carrie said...

The vidalia onions big and yellow. They've got plenty right now at Von's.

AmyPoll said...

Sounds delish...I have never tried french onion soup before, but I may have to.

Sara said...

Thanks for the recipe! I tried it the other night and Dave and I loved it. The kids weren't as excited of course - maybe the mac and chili recipe... hmmmm.