but our baby girl turned 3 on January 21st. It's amazing how time races past. She loves to be a helper around the house, with her favorites being mopping, loading the dryer, and unloading the dishwasher. Sadly, I know this is just a phase!
For her birthday party, she wanted two things: a candy cake and her best friend Lila to be at her party. So we invited Lila's family over to celebrate the big day. The kids played for the first while, but when they began to slow down we had stickers and markers so they could decorate their own placemats for dinner. This was quite the hit with the under-8 crowd.
Then came dinner: pizza and fruit.
This is what silly boys do with apple slices.
Later came the cake and birthday song. Gwen ended up choosing cupcakes over a large cake and wanted it to be yellow. I'd never made a homemade yellow cake before, but it was amazing. I don't think I can ever eat boxed yellow cake again. They are not the same thing.
We had decorated the cupcakes with different candies and sprinkles and the kids all seemed to like getting to choose their own.
It's fun to see what a difference a year makes. Not only did she know exactly who she wanted at her party and what kind of cake she'd like this year, she knew what to do when it was time to open the presents. We pulled in a kitchen chair for her to sit on and she was completely happy to be center stage, tearing into the wrapping paper. Here she is opening a box of "Barbie shoes", which are really 4 pairs of Disney princess heels. She wears these nonstop.
Brenna gave her a bracelet, Lila gave her a new baby cradle, and we gave her a baby with a bunch of accessories, because apparently a girl can never have too many baby dolls.
The best part of the party was the pinata. It's crazy how much kids get into these things! It was dark and cold outside and we had forgotten to get a rope/string so we got a little creative. We attached the pinata to Lucy's leash, which we then wound around a metal rod, then I stood on a chair and dangled it at great risk to myself. Dangerous, but highly entertaining.
Fortunately there was nothing to fear from Gwen. This is her hard swing.
Then came Lila, Nate, Blake, and Ava, who you can see really got into it.
Brenna and Davin finally did it in and this is the candy-induced frenzy that ensued.
As you can see, that much candy can make you a little wonky.
Thank you to the Skinner family for celebrating with us. My kids had a blast and are counting on you guys for every birthday celebration from here on out.
As for our 3-year old girl, there are so many things I love about her right now. Here are just a few:
1. She calls forks, "sharks". As in, "I need my shark for my wunch."
2. She likes to make food in her play kitchen, or take food orders from me at the playground or anywhere else that she can imagine is a kitchen or restaurant. She then poses the question "Mom, what you want?"
3. She has some sweet eyebrows. She takes after her Aunt Julie in her ability to raise one eyebrow sky-high.
4. She still loves chocolate milk, and though she will occasionally call it by its correct name, she still calls it logger most of the time.
5. Gwen loves babies, princesses and Bodies (aka, Barbies). Lately when we walk to the bus stop to pick up the girls she puts her baby dolls in their stroller, straps on her princess shoes, and strolls at a glacial pace to get the girls. She even brought her babies and stroller to the mall today.
6. She pronounces the first A in Ava with a short vowel sound.
7. She loves the tea sets she got for Christmas and has taken to filling them up with water and holding tea parties in the bathroom. The wall in our downstairs bathroom has water damage as a result and I've had to put the kibosh on the bathroom tea parties.
8. When it's my turn to put her to bed she asks me to sing to her after storytime. When I ask her what she wants me to sing she always answers, "Jingle Bells." Then she requests "church song" which I interpret to mean "I am a Child of God" and with which she seems satisfied.
9. Her favorite shows are Dora, Diego, and any cartoon involving a princess.
10. She is working a lot lately at counting, but is far from getting the order down. She always starts at 3, then asks me "What comes next?" or else throws together a random assortment of numbers less than 14.
11. I realize she's growing up in a house where the girls outnumber the boys, but it's more than obvious in her pronoun usage. Everyone is a she. "Where's Daddy? She's at work?"
12. She is feisty and has a bit of a rebellious streak. This girl will not be a follower.
13. She is an affectionate girl and loves her family.
We're so glad we've had her with us for 3 whole years now. Happy birthday, Gwen!

3 comments:
Happy Birthday Gwen!
Gwennie really rocked the princess shoes!
I am laughing at your description of the pinata! When you say "Lucy's leash", I picture poor Lucy dangling from one end of the stick, and the pinata on the other. And I KNOW there's a picture of that. I need to see that one.
I love Gwen because she brings my baby more joy than just about anything... except maybe candy.
And the cupcakes were delicious. I hope you are looking forward to Lila's box cake mix on Monday. I don't do "from scratch".
Post a Comment