I remember in the weeks after Brenna was born wondering when my life would get back to normal. Turns out, normal as I knew it didn't exist anymore. Some days I still find myself experiencing that same feeling.
We had a lovely Thanksgiving holiday, filled with lots of cooking, eating, cleaning, and playing. And I will admit to a few surreal moments, like when I walked into the kitchen tonight where Scott was trying to make a batch of chocolate chip cookies, but could hardly move for Nate and Gwen and their chairs and eager little bodies pressing in on him. Ava sat in the family room a dozen feet away, watching a Muppet movie and playing the recorder. The noise level, between the TV, the recorder, the mixer, and the squabbling helpers, rivaled any scene in "Cheaper by the Dozen". It made me shake my head and helped me remember why I am grateful for this darling little chaotic crew.
Life has never returned to normal as I once knew it. My new normal is filled with messes and noise and sibling rivalry and stress. But it's also filled with soft little kisses, big hugs from little arms, spontaneous songs, nonsensical knock-knock jokes, plenty of warm bodies to snuggle on the couch, love notes drawn in crayon, and more love than you can wrap your arms around.
Life has never returned to normal as I once knew it. My new normal is filled with messes and noise and sibling rivalry and stress. But it's also filled with soft little kisses, big hugs from little arms, spontaneous songs, nonsensical knock-knock jokes, plenty of warm bodies to snuggle on the couch, love notes drawn in crayon, and more love than you can wrap your arms around. Surreal? Sometimes. Wonderful? Always.
9 comments:
Amen!!!
And I love the new pictures!!
I don't remember what life was like before the kids came along (really --- what did we do with our "free time"?), and honestly I don't care.
I really adore your pictures! Your "private" photographer did a marvelous job.... but it helps you are all so darn good looking.
My question is: what the heck did I do before I lived daily on less than 5-6 hours hours of sleep? Like Scott, I can't remember that far back.
I remember what life was like before we had kids. I stressed about when we were gonna have kids, how many to have,and why it was taking so long for us to get pregnant with just one. Then before we knew it we had four crazies and life has never been dull since.
I am so in love with your new pictures.
Life before kids... I imagine it was filled with long walks on the beach, candlelit dinners, exotic vacations, and days in bed talking about our feelings... but I actually can't really remember either.
Laura's comment, "lying in bed talking about our feelings" through me off and now I can't remember what I wanted to comment about. Your pictures are fabulous.
Yes, can't you just picture Brian spending hours discussing his emotions?
i LOVE your new photos! :-) a great lookin' bunch of people.
It is hard to remember what life was like pre-kids. I don't think I'd want to go back to it.
I love the new family pics. And, I would love your address to send a Christmas card.
Post a Comment